Gas line blamed for fire at Parque Hidalgo

A fire at a Centro park was extinguished before doing major damage. Photo: Diario de Yucatán
A fire at a Centro park was extinguished before doing major damage. Photo: Diario de Yucatán

Mérida, Yucatán — A fire at Parque Hidalgo was brought under control before causing any major damage at the Teatro Fantasio.

The SSP responded in force Wednesday night when a propane gas line exploded.

The pipe connected to a stationary gas tank on the roof of the historic midcentury cinema, which now stages live acts. The fire consumed part of a sign on the theater’s facade, but was extinguished before spreading further.

Sponsored
 

Municipal Police protected the perimeter of the scene, keeping pedestrians and tourists from the fire.

Although paramedics were summoned, no injuries were reported.

Renovated in 2013, the 350-seat theater first opened in 1952 between two more ornate historic hotels, the Caribe and Gran Hotel on Calle 60 between 59 and 61.

Programming at the theater will continue as normal pending an analysis from the department of civil protection. A noon press conference at the theater is planned.

Comments