Fire wrecks food stalls at Lucas de Galvez

A fire wiped out three food stalls at Lucas de Galvez market in Merida. Photo: Police
A fire wiped out three food stalls at Lucas de Galvez market in Merida. Photo: Police

Merida, Yucatan — Three all-night food stalls were destroyed early Saturday when a gas leak caused a fire at the Lucas de Gálvez market.

The events occurred in the part of the complex known as the tinglado, between the Lucas de Gálvez and San Benito markets, where vendors sell food 24 hours a day.

Municipal Police responded to the blaze shortly after 4 a.m. and alerted firefighters, who kept flames from spreading. No injuries were reported.

Police officers cordoned off the scene and closed surrounding streets, authorities reported. The fire was completely out by 5:26 a.m.

In addition, three 20-kilo gas cylinders, and one holding 30 kilos of gas, were removed from the site.

Source: La Verdad

Comments