Mérida, Yucatán — Just as the store was preparing for Dia del Niño celebrations, a short circuit in Sanborns’ toy and candy department started a fire that forced the rest of the Plaza Altabrisa mall to close on Sunday.
The fire was controlled quickly, but filled the department store and part of the mall with smoke.
Mall management reported on social media that Plaza Altabrisa will re-open today, but Sanborns and any neighboring shops damaged by the fire will remain shuttered.
The Ministry of Public Security reported property damage, but no injuries, in the blaze. Two Soriana supermarket workers were treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation.
The store had recently stocked the toys and candy for Children’s Day, which is officially today (Monday). That merchandise, of course, is ruined.
The fire started before the mall was set to open for the day. Edgar Sánchez Delgado, a 37-year-old watchman, activated a fire alarm at 6:40 a.m. Sunday after seeing flames inside the store.
Source: Press release